HP Printer not activated Error Code 20 Is caused by the failure to properly configure the HP printer on your system. Printer not activated Error Code 20 typically shows when trying to print a document, image or spreadsheet on your computer, and then you decide to print that document with your HP printer. Printer not activated error code 20 is very common in Windows 7, 8.1 or 10. Your printer displays this error when you are trying to save a PDF. Also, when the PDF converter fails to read the activation code, this error occurs. While some users report about this error while trying to print an Adobe document, after Microsoft update or while using the QuickBooks software. Some other popular causes of the occurrence of this error are due to conflicts in the device manager, missing printer driver or if any wrong printer is set as the default printer.
What Causes Printer Not Activated Error Code 20?
The Printer not Activated Error 20 happens when you update your Operating System. Also, when the applications that use the key to store internal settings the application key is not updated then it fails to work as it usually does. There are several reasons why the non-activated HP Printer Error Code 20 appears, including the following: The default printer is not set to the printer you are using.
- There’s no printer driver available.
- Conflicts exist in the device manager.
- Errors in the registry of your system.
To fix this error, you must first ensure that your HP Printer is set up correctly and that there are no damaged or corrupt settings on your PC that could prevent your printer from working. Here are the steps to resolve this issue that you should take:
How To Fix HP Printer not activated Error Code 20
You must first make sure that the HP printer is actually working before you start resolving the error. You can print a self-test page to do this and check the USB connectivity from the printer to your computer once you have done that. Once you have completed these tasks successfully, these methods can then be applied to resolve the error.
Step 1 – Make Sure The Printer You Are Using Is Set As The Default Printer
The reason you should do this is because there may be the same problem in the future when you try to print a document out. You should always make sure that it is set as the default printer if you buy another printer.
- Click Start > Fax and Printer.
- Look through the Printers folder and proceed to Step 2 if you don’t have the desired printer icon.
- However, if there is the desired icon, see if it has next to it a check mark. This means the default printer is set.
- If there is no check mark, right-click the printer and click the option Set as Default Printer.
- To print a Windows self-test page, right-click the printer and select the Print Test Page.
- Exit the printer folder if the page prints successfully and try to print a word document.
- If this fails, however, apply the methods in Step 2.
Step 2 – Run Printer Troubleshooter
Type “troubleshoot ” in the Windows Search bar and click on Troubleshoot. Click on printer and run the troubleshooter as shown below.
- Open the Settings app and navigate to the Update & Security section.
- Select Troubleshoot from the left pane. Choose Printer and click the Run the troubleshooter button.Follow the instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.
- After the troubleshooter is finished, check if the issue is still there. If the problem is still there, you might want to try using Hardware and Devices troubleshooter
Step 3 – Reinstall The USB Composite Device
Reinstalling the USB device would just like to start over with a so-called’ new’ printer. Reinstalling the device could be just what it needs to function properly. Follow these steps to do this: 1. Right-click and select Properties from My Computer.
- Click the tab Hardware and click Device Manager 3. Double-click Universal Serial Bus Controllers in the Device Manager window.
- Right-click Device Composite USB, select Uninstall and click OK. 5. Disconnect and reconnect the USB cable from your PC.
- Follow the on-screen instructions in the Found New Hardware Wizard to install the drivers.
- To open the Printers folder, click Start, then select Printer and Faxes.
- Find your HP printer icon and then click Print Test Page to print a self-test page.
- Close all windows and try to print out a document if the self-test page prints successfully.
Step 4 – Reinstall QuickBooks
- Go to the Run box by pressing Windows key + R together
- Then, type “appwiz.cpl” and hit on the Enter key
- From the list, find QuickBooks and uninstall it
- Now, you need to run the installer and follow the on-screen prompts which are displaying to install QuickBooks
- At last, restart your PC to save the changes.
Step 5 – Uninstall And Reinstall The HP Software
If the following steps do not resolve the unactivated HP Printer Error Code 20, then the HP printer software should be uninstalled and reinstalled. You should use the Add / Remove Programs utility built in to do this.
Step 6 – Clean Out The Registry
One of HP Printer Not Activated Error 20‘s biggest causes is due to corrupt or damaged parts of the’ registry’ that prevent your computer from using the printer. The registry is a Windows system database that stores vital settings and files that need to be run by your computer and software. It needs to read many registry settings every time you use your software to help run it, but unfortunately, many of these settings get damaged and corrupted, making it difficult for Windows to read them. To fix this, use a’ registry cleaner’ program to clean the registry.
- To go to Windows Registry Editor, open ‘Run’ and then in the dialogue box type – Regedit and select ‘Run as Administrator’
- Before you can make changes to the Registry create a back-up. This is to avoid any mishaps in case you run into one while making changes to the registry.
- On the same screen select File from the menu on top > select Export > name the backup copy file > select Export Range in the dialog box > check if All is checked > Save
- Next right click on the software table and select ‘Permission’
- Check if the user (you) have the full control of the table
- Click on ‘OK’ and then close the window and the registry editor
Step 7: Configure Print Spooler Service
On your computer keyboard hold and press, ‘Windows + R’ keys together to open the ‘Run’ box or you can just type ‘Run’ in the search box and click to open it
- In the ‘Run’ box type ‘MSC’ and enter or click ‘OK’
- You will get a services list and here you need to locate and click on ‘Print Spooler Service’
- Now select Properties and click on Stop Print Spooler Service
- Next select Automatic
- Click on ‘Start the Service Again’
Try and save a PDF to check if the issue of QuickBooks error – 20 has been resolved
We hope that after reading this article, your problem with non-activated HP Printer Activation Error Code 20 and HP Printer Error Code 20 message will be resolved quickly if you are unable to solve these problems, just dial our toll-free number +1-877-889-9909 to connect with the printer support expert.